Hello, everyone. Alethea here, just popping in to wish you all a happy new year.
For many of us, 2016 was quite a downer. It ended on quite a sour note for my little family, as my elder fur-baby, Mars, has been really sick since Christmas Eve.
If you're interested in the details, head over to our GoFundMe page. Please don't feel obligated to donate! We have pet insurance that may help us cover part of the cost (it will be another 2-3 weeks before we know how much), and we also met our stretch goal last week--a blessing since Mars hasn't quite turned the corner yet, so we are looking at more possible vet visits. Your well-wishes would be most appreciated, however. And if you really want to reach for your wallet, there is another kitty in need who hasn't made their fundraising goal on Facebook (Feisty, from the Kitty Devore Rescue where our friends volunteer). Click here to check it out and help if you can. If you can't donate, just remember, clicking that Share button is a great way to help out for free!
As for me, I still have 3 classes left before I get my Bachelor's. I basically finished 0 fun books (text books don't count!) last year, although I did partially read a few novels and listen to bits of a couple of audiobooks. However, for New Year's Day my husband and I cleaned out the home office and now I have a nice little reading nook where I can keep an eye on Mars as well as try to get some homework and reading done. I haven't taken pics yet, but if you follow me on Instagram, I'll be sharing some pics with you soon! I like making New Year's Resolutions even if I don't keep them, and one of 2017's resolutions is definitely going to be to read more fun books.
Thuy and I did a little bit of sewing last year, and I hope to do more sewing and knitting this year. She and Kimberly have also been busy with their knitting podcast, Twisted Stitches. I highly recommend it! They also talk about TV, movies, and books, so it's not all knitting. I find it really motivating and inspiring to hear them talk about what they're doing.
Lastly, I'm going to try to get back out there with the book events once we have recovered from the crazy vet bills I have just had to pay. So it might take a while, but in the meantime I'll continue to keep tabs on the local kids/YA book events in Southern California.
Just for fun, here's my New Year's Resolutions List for 2017:
- Knit every day -- even if it's just 1 row. So far, so good--I've been knitting a little every day!
- Read a fun book once a week -- even if it's just for 1 hour.
- Finish 1 painting every month. I actually like painting a complete work in 1 day, so I am hoping that 12 paintings this year will not be a crazy goal to meet.
- Exercise more often. I finally have time to visit the gym tomorrow (unless Miss Mars has starts vomiting again) so I hope that can become a habit.
- Eat more vegetables. I really hate dieting and I don't really want to give up my favorite foods, but I recognize that I need to improve my nutritional intake. Especially the last 10 days since Mars got sick, I haven't really been taking care of myself. I figure adding more veggies to my plate is a step in the right direction.
- Start writing creatively again. I don't really have a goal set for this, but I know once I start, I probably won't be able to stop.
- Sew! I have a huge fabric stash and the best way to use it up is to make sure I keep honing my sewing skills by making stuff. That's also in my plan for tomorrow.
- Declutter. Husband and I have made a really great start to organizing ourselves in the last few days, so we're really feeling good about this right now.
- Have hope. I will do something every day to help others, and take a stand for what I believe is right. I hope you will, too.
May you have a wonderful 2017, and I look forward to sharing more reading, writing, and making with you!