FTC Disclosure: samples & prizing are provided by Disney-Hyperion.
If you know anything about me, you know I love love love scary things. I grew up watching horror movies with my uncles on Friday nights and scaring the bejeezus out of myself with every episode of The Twilight Zone and Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I also like my horror with a side of humor/whimsy, so Guillermo del Toro is definitely high up on my top ten list of favorite directors. I don't re-watch horror movies very often, but when I do, The Orphanage is usually first in the rotation, followed closely by Pan's Labyrinth. My husband and I are huge fans of Pacific Rim, and he also recommends The Strain book series del Toro wrote with author Chuck Hogan. Now del Toro has teamed up with YA author Daniel Kraus for a fantastical horror novel illustrated by Gateway artist and creator Sean Murray. Read on for more about the book and a chance to win a horror fan starter pack!
Trollhunters by Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus
Illustrated by Sean Murray
Released July 7, 2015
About the book
"You are food. Those muscles you flex to walk, lift, and talk? They're patties of meat topped with chewy tendon. That skin you've paid so much attention to in mirrors? It's delicious to the right tongues, a casserole of succulent tissue. And those bones that give you the strength to make your way in the world? They rattle between teeth as the marrow is sucked down slobbering throats. These facts are unpleasant but useful. There are things out there, you see, that don't cower in holes to be captured by us and cooked over our fires. These things have their own ways of trapping their kills, their own fires, their own appetites."
Jim Sturges is your typical teen in suburban San Bernardino—one with an embarrassingly overprotective dad, a best friend named "Tubby" who shares his hatred of all things torturous (like gym class), and a crush on a girl who doesn't know he exists. But everything changes for Jim when a 45-year old mystery resurfaces, threatening the lives of everyone in his seemingly sleepy town. Soon Jim has to team up with a band of unlikely (and some un-human) heroes to battle the monsters he never knew existed.
From the minds of horror geniuses Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus comes a new illustrated novel about the fears that move in unseen places.
About the Authors
Guillermo del Toro is best known for his critically acclaimed feature films, such as Pan's Labyrinth, Helllboy, and Pacific Rim, as well as his best-selling Strain Trilogy.
Daniel Kraus is the award-winning author of Scowler and Rotters, and is the director of six feature films. He lives with his wife in Chicago.
From Pan's Labyrinth to Hellboy to his best-selling novel The Strain, del Toro has captured the imagination through his works. His co-author Daniel Kraus is another award-winning author and filmmaker with a penchant for horror stories. Kraus' debut novel, The Monster Variations, was selected for New York Public Library's "100 Best Stuff for Teens." Fangoria called Rotters, his Bram Stoker-finalist and Odyssey Award-winning second novel, "a new horror classic." Kraus' 2013 title, Scowler, also won an Odyssey Award for best audiobook produced for children and/or young adults.
About the Illustrator
Sean Murray is an illustrator, concept artist, author and teacher known for his work on video games such as Dungeons & Dragons Online and The Lord of the Rings Online, as well as the creator of The World of Gateway, which includes his fantasy guidebook Gateway: The Book of Wizards and the upcoming card game Gateway Uprising.
Take a peek inside!
Can something be dark and luminous at the same time? I think the illustrator does a great job at capturing the spirit of adventure.
Click each thumbnail to embiggen. Images below, copyright: Sean Murray.
Praise for Trollhunters
Find the Book
THE HORROR FAN STARTER PACK
Get introduced to the genre!
One (1) winner will receive a Disney-Hyperion collection of Young Adult Horror Books including:
· Trollhunters by Guillermo del Toro and Daniel Kraus
· The Enemy by Charlie Higson
· Lockwood & Co: The Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud
· plus branded Trollhunters pins!
Giveaway open to US addresses only. Prizing and samples provided by Disney-Hyperion.
- Open to US only, ends 7/27/2015.
- No purchase is necessary to enter a giveaway. Void where prohibited.
- We and the publisher are not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged items.
- One set of entries per household please.
- If you are under 13, please get a parent or guardian's permission to enter, as you will be sharing personal info such as an email address.
- Winner will be chosen randomly via Rafflecopter widget a day or two after the contest ends.
- Winner will have 48 hours to respond to to the email, otherwise we will pick a new winner.
- If you have any questions, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ANY PERSONAL INFO IN THE COMMENTS. Sorry for the caps, but we always get people leaving their email in the comments. Rafflecopter will collect all that without having personal info in the comments for all the world (and spambots) to find.