Hark! A giveaway! Read on for excerpts from cartoonist Kate Beaton's debut picture book, The Princess and The Pony! Click the images for larger versions.
About the Book
Princess Pinecone knows exactly what she wants for her birthday this year. A BIG horse. A STRONG horse. A horse fit for a WARRIOR PRINCESS! But when the day arrives, she doesn't quite get the horse of her dreams...
From the artist behind the comic phenomenon Hark! A Vagrant, The Princess and the Pony is a laugh-out-loud story of brave warriors, big surprises, and falling in love with one unforgettable little pony.
About the Author
Kate Beaton is the author of Hark! A Vagrant, her #1 New York Times bestselling collection of comics which began as a webcomic in 2007. The Princess and the Pony is her first picture book. She is the recipient of multiple Harvey awards, and her work has been featured in the New Yorker, Harper’s, and The Best American Comics Anthology. Kate lives in Toronto, and you can find her online at www.beatontown.com and on Twitter as @beatonna.
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Samples & prizing are provided by Scholastic.
You can't really say I'm unbiased, since I've been a fan of Kate Beaton's work since before Hark! A Vagrant was available in book form. Her webcomic is off-color but still very clever, entertainingly drawn, and well-written. The Princess and The Pony is a lot less off-color and more colorful, and Beaton's signature sense of humor shines throughout.
Princess Pinecone is no ordinary princess. She's the offspring of two mighty warriors who rule over a land full of fighters, rogues, barbarians, and the like. And she would not like another cozy sweater for her birthday. Instead, she wants a mighty steed, a stallion, a powerful mount to ride into battle! Except, as things go, she may wish she had been more specific.
I mean, look at this pony. It's chubby. It's a little boss-eyed. It's a bit gassy. It couldn't strike fear into the heart of a romaine lettuce you're about to conquer. Princess Pinecone isn't happy with her present, but she tries to make the best of things.
Beaton's debut picture book does not disappoint. In addition to great artwork, a hilarious story, and a farty little pony, many readers will appreciate the biracial origins of Princess Pinecone, whose parents are a statuesque dark-skinned gladiatrix mom and a blond-bearded Viking dad. The knitter in me also appreciates all of the fun, silly, though not battle-appropriate cozy sweaters. If you get your hands on this book, make sure you take a moment to check out the back endpapers!
NOT YOUR AVERAGE PRINCESS prize pack
Two (2) winners each receive a copy of The Princess and the Pony. Just enter with the Rafflecopter widget below.
Please remember to include #PonyTime if you tweet about the book or the giveaway!
Prizes were provided by Scholastic.
- Open to US only, ends 7/07/2015.
- No purchase is necessary to enter a giveaway. Void where prohibited.
- We and the publisher are not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged items.
- One set of entries per household please.
- If you are under 13, please get a parent or guardian's permission to enter, as you will be sharing personal info such as an email address.
- Winner will be chosen randomly via Rafflecopter widget a day or two after the contest ends.
- Winner will have 48 hours to respond to to the email, otherwise we will pick a new winner.
- If you have any questions, feel free to email us at email@example.com
- PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ANY PERSONAL INFO IN THE COMMENTS. Sorry for the caps, but we always get people leaving their email in the comments. Rafflecopter will collect all that without having personal info in the comments for all the world (and spambots) to find.