Hello again, book fans! Thanks to I am a Reader for another great giveaway hop. Make sure you check out the other giveaways here (most bloggers will post their giveaway on Saturday, I'm just a little early) to enter to win more great books and prizes.
Today I'm giving away what is so far my favorite middle grade book of the year -- The Secret Hum of a Daisy by Tracy Holczer! I haven't posted a review yet, since I chose it for my YABC (book club) pick and the first rule of book club is that you don't talk about the book before the meeting :) I will probably post a review on Amazon and link it since my clubmates don't really read my reviews there. But suffice to say for now that it's a phenomenal book, and I hope it wins many awards in the year to come! The giveaway is open to US only (ends 6/30) because I have to mail something breakable to the winner, but more on that later.
About the book
Twelve-year-old Grace and her mother have always been their own family, traveling from place to place like gypsies. But Grace wants to finally have a home all their own. Just when she thinks she's found it her mother says it's time to move again. Grace summons the courage to tell her mother how she really feels and will always regret that her last words to her were angry ones.
After her mother's sudden death, Grace is forced to live with a grandmother she's never met. She can't imagine her mother would want her to stay with this stranger. Then Grace finds clues in a mysterious treasure hunt, just like the ones her mother used to send her on. Maybe it is her mother, showing her the way to her true home.
Lyrical, poignant and fresh, The Secret Hum of a Daisy is a beautifully told middle grade tale with a great deal of heart.
About the author
Tracy Holczer lives in Southern California with her husband, three daughters, and two rather fluffy dogs named Buster and Molly. She has a deep love for the mountains where she grew up so she writes them into her stories.
A 2014 ABA Indies Introduce New Voices pick, her debut middle grade, The Secret Hum of a Daisy, was written in praise of both nature and family, and all that can be found if you're willing to hunt for treasure. It will be also be published by Konigskinder/Carlsen in Germany, fall 2015.
Blogging on the 30th of each month at http://smack-dab-in-the-middle.blogspot.com
Buy the book:
Autographed copies (note request on the order or they won't know it needs to be autographed!) available at Once Upon a Time in Montrose, CA
The Giveaway (US only, ends 6/30)
1 signed hardcover copy of The Secret Hum of a Daisy
1 answer jar (here is the one Tracy made for me! Answers not provided, haha :) You can read a little more about the answer jar here.
- Open to US residents only.
- We are not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged items.
- One set of entries per household please.
- If you are under 13, please get a parent or guardian's permission to enter, as you will be sharing personal info such as an email address.
- Winner will be chosen randomly via Rafflecopter widget a day or two after the contest ends.
- Winner will have 48 hours to respond to to the email, otherwise we will pick a new winner.
- If you have any questions, feel free to email us. You can review our full contest policy here.
- PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE ANY PERSONAL INFO IN THE COMMENTS. Sorry for the caps but we always get people leaving their email in the comments. Rafflecopter will collect all that without having personal info in the comments for all the world (and spambots) to find. Thanks, and good luck!